Smoky Squash Gnocchi W/ Pesto
- 1 large acorn squash, seeded
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 1 pkg Smoky Chia Cheeze.
- 1/2 C pepitas
- 1 C Fresh Basil
- 1/2 C Fresh Parsley
- 3 tbsp of Heidi Ho Pure Ne Chevre
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice squash in half and remove seeds. Brush the insides with oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place sliced side down on the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until the insides are soft throughout.
- Let the squash cool and scoop out the flex into a mixing bowl and mash into a puree. Measure out about 2 cups of the flesh and put it into a large mixing bowl, if there are any leftovers you can freeze them for later.
- Add in the minced sage, a tbsp of oil and your flour. Mix until a dough forms, the dough the should still be a little sticky but not too wet.
- Dust your work surface with flour and scoop dough onto the surface. Dust the top of the dough with more flour so the entire surface is covered. Flour your hands and roll dough into a thick log and slice into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into a 1/2’’ thick log and slice into 1’’ pieces and place them on a lightly floured baking sheet or plate.
- Bring water to a boil in a pot with a steamer basket on top. Place gnocchi into the basket in batches. lower heat to simmer and cover. Steam each batch of 7 minutes.
- While your gnocchi is steaming prepare a skillet over medium heat with 2 tbsp of oil with a few fresh sage leaves.
- Remove gnocchi from basket and place in the pan with sage and oil. Fry each side until golden brown and place on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Add more Sage leaves with every batch of steamed gnocchi.
- Warm up some Heidi Ho Smoky Chia Cheeze in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Place gnocchi on a warm plate and add a drizzle of Heidi Ho Smoky Cheeze over everything followed by your favorite pesto (optional) and garnish with remaining sage leaves
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast your pepitas until they start to pop and become fragrant. Place in a blender or food processor.
- Add basil, parsley, Heidi Ho Pure Ne Chèvre, garlic, salt, lemon juice and oil and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- If pesto is too thick add more lemon juice little by little until desired consistency is reached.
- Enjoy right away and refrigerate any leftovers.
Copyright ©Heidi Ho. Always Vegan, Always Sustainable